Friday, May 14, 2010

Printing Fabric with "soft paint"

This technique, that I learned from Martha, is my new favorite. I have long yearned to understand how to print my own fabric. Through a lot of research and a lot of trial and error, I have found the technique that works. Martha uses this technique to add a leafy print to a table cloth but I have used it to decorate a tank top from Forever 21.

Supplies: Soft Paint (Tulip Lite) (aka, brush on tint), tank top or t-shirt (or any other article of clothing), rubber brayer, paper towels, newsprint, cookie sheet, your favorite leaf.

This is a VERY simple technique to do, you can learn it in under 10 mins and master is in under an hour.

The first step is to paint the tint on to a clean, stem free leaf.


Place the leaf, carefully, paint down and place a paper towel on top. Roll, firmly, the brayer over the paper towel.


That's it! Repeat, add stems, and wear! Add stems by dipping stem in tint and carefully - using your fingers, add the stem.



Follow the instructions on the back of your tint - mine requires use on pre-washed material and 72 hours dry time before laundering. Enjoy!





4 comments:

Tasia said...

What a cool idea! I've always wanted to print my own fabric. Your tank looks so pretty, thanks for sharing!

ShannonAshley said...

Thank you! If you have any questions, let me know!

Percolator of Life said...

nice to be reminded occasionally of techniques forgotten for inspiration to also create. keep up the blogging

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

That is SUCH a cool idea! I love foliage and leaves on fabric -- I may just have to try this!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails